This website may contain affiliate links. When a purchase is made through our links, The Naked Diabetic may receive a commission, at no cost to you.
Caramel is one of my favourite sweet treats. These Sugar Free Caramel Pecan Bars are absolutely amazing and will not disappoint. They are decadent and taste like the real thing. You really must try them!
In this post, I share a list of kitchen equipment used, a shopping list of ingredients, some helpful tips and FAQs, the recipe for Sugar Free Caramel Pecan Bars and nutritional information.
Kitchen Equipment used
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Bowls
- Electric Mixer
- 7 by 9-inch baking dish
- Sifter or sieve
- Silicone Spatula
Need Kitchen Supplies?
Shopping list of Ingredients
- Carbalose Flour
- Splenda Granulated Sweetener
- Vanilla Extract
- Walden Farms Caramel Syrup
- Heavy Cream – 18 percent
- SugarFree Chocolate Chips – ChocZero
- Ratio Keto toasted Almond Granola
Need Diabetic Friendly Ingredients?
Helpful Tips and FAQs
About the crust
The crust in this recipe is similar to a shortbread. When baked it is similar to a crunchy cookie. Prior to baking either grease and flour (use about 1/2 tablespoon of Cfrbalose Flour)your baking dish or add a piece of parchment paper to prevent sticking to the pan.
Using a different flour
If you don’t have Carbalose but would still like to make this recipe, you can easily substitute the Carbalose Flour with King Arthur keto Wheat Flour. King Arthur Keto Wheat Flour will not alter the taste but may result in a little darker colour of the final crust. Use the same amounts listed in the recipe and also use it for the greasing and flouring of the pan. You will still need to sift the flour.
You can use Almond Flour or Coconut Flour but you may need to add an extra egg white as you may need more liquid. Make sure before placing the crust in the oven for the first bake that the dough is not too dry.
Using any flour substitute will change the nutritional information in your final recipe
Using Different Nuts in this recipe
If you don’t like pecans you can substitute them with chopped almonds or walnuts. Walnuts are a good option as they are similar in size and texture as the pecans, but they do have a stronger nut taste. Any change in the type of nuts you use will obviously affect the overall taste.
To maintain a well-balanced flavour, sure that any nuts you use are not roasted
Can I substitute the cereal?
If you are unable to get Ratio Keto Toasted Almond Granola you can substitute the amount with a combination of extra chopped pecans and chopped almonds. It will alter the final nutritional information but will not overly change the flavours. If using other nuts, be mindful of carb content as some nuts have higher or lower carbs.
The Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
I have chosen Sugar Free ChocZero chocolate chips as they are the lowest in carbs that I can find, but they are not always easy to find. When I am not able to get ChocZero, I use Krisda, Enjoy Life Sugar Free Chocolate Chips or Lily’s Sugar Free Chocolate Chips. I live in Canada and getting Sugar Free ingredients can be a challenge at times.
If you are in Canada and find it difficult to find, , Krisda, Lily’s and Enjoy Life are three common brands of sugar-free chocolate chips. The net carbs for ChocZero are 1 gr per tablespoon, for Kirsda Sugar Free Dark Chocolately Chips, the net carbs for one tbsp are 4 grams, Lily’s dark sugar-free is 5 grams of net carbs, and Enjoy Life Sugar Free Chocolate Chips are 6 grams of net carbs per tablespoon.
Can I omit the salt in this recipe?
Salt is needed in the bottom crust layer, but can easily be omitted from both the Caramel Pecan Layer and the Caramel Sauce. If you do not like a salted caramel flavour or are on a sodium-restricted diet, you can easily lower the amount of salt. The bars are still delicious, even after omitting the salt.
Greasing and Flouring the baking dish.
Easily grease and flour your baking dish using a piece of crumpled wax paper or paper towel. Add a little butter to the surface and wipe it on the bottom and up the sides of the dish. Drop a tablespoon of flour into the dish and rotate the dish, allowing the flour to fall around the dish and stick to the butter. You should only need about 1 tablespoon of flour for a 7 by 9-inch baking dish.
Quick Tip for spreading the Crust Batter
The crust batter tends to be a bit sticky and will likely stick to the spoon. When spreading the batter, keep the clean, warm and wet. I dip my spoon into hot water frequently. This makes spreading the batter evenly in the baking dish a snap.
Storing and freezing Instructions.
Sore these Sugar Free Caramel Pecan Bars in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 to 4 days or up to 7 days refrigerated.
If you choose to freeze them, I recommend freezing them wrapped in plastic wrap and placed in an airtight container. If you are freezing them in layers, place a sheet of waxed paper between the layers.
After defrosting, warm them up in the microwave for a few seconds, to soften the chocolate chips and the caramel.
How to make Sugar Free Caramel Pecan Bars
The Sugar Free Caramel Pecan Bars Recipe.
Sugar Free Caramel Pecan Bars
- 1 cup Carbalose Flour – sifted
- ⅔ cup Butter – softened
- 3 tbsp Splenda granulated Sweetener
- 1 large egg – room temperature
- 1 large egg white – room temperature
- 1 tbsp Table cream (18 percent)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ tsp Salt
Caramel Nut Layer
- 1 cup Pecan Pieces
- ½ cup Ratio Keto Toasted Almond Granola
- 3 tbsp Splenda Granulated Sweetener
- 3 tbsp Sugar Free Chocolate Chips – ChocZero
- 1 tbsp Cream – 18 %
- 1 large Egg
- ⅓ cup Walden farms Caramel Syrup
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- pinch Salt
Caramel Syrup Topping
- 3 tbsp Splenda Granulated Sweetener
- ¼ cup Cream – 18%
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Walden Farms caramel Syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Salt
Crust – Bottom Layer
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 C)
- Sift the Carbalose flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add egg, egg white, Vanilla extract, and cream and mix.
- Mix in the sweetener and salt.
- Mix in the flour, adding a scoop at a time and blending in between.
- Grease and flour a 7 by 9 inch baking dish.
- Spoon the crust mixture into the pan and smooth out into an even layer.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes and then remove from the oven and set aside while you make the next layer.
- Allow the crust to firm up a bit before adding the nut layer.
Caramel Pecan layer
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the pecans pieces, keto granola cereal, sweetener and sugar-free chocolate chips.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the egg, cream, Walden farms syrup, Vanilla extract and salt and whisk together.
- Spread the nut mixture over the baked crust.
- Spoon the liquid caramel mixture over the nut layer until the nuts mix is covered.
- Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting
Caramel Syrup. (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk all of the sauce ingredients together.
- Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Simmer for approximately 5 – 8 minutes
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly before usings.
- Spread over the bars, or spoon over individual cut bars as desired.
The following nutritional information is for one bar without caramel sauce. This recipe makes 15 bars in a 7 by 9-inch baking dish.
- Calories. 164
- Total fat – 13 gr
- Saturated Fat – 6 gr
- Total carbs – 7 gr
- Fibre – 4 gr
- Net Carbs – 3 gr
- Protein – 5 gr
- Sodium 85 mg
Nutritional Information for I serving of Caramel Sauce 1 serving = 2 tsp
- Calories – 12
- Total Fat – 1.3 gr
- Saturated Fat – .8 gr
- Total Carbs – 0 gr
- Fibre4 – o gr
- Protein – .5 gr
- Sodium – 6 mg
Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is automatically calculated using an online nutrition calculator. We encourage you to calculate nutrition data with your specific brand ingredients as nutritional information can vary between brands
I hope you enjoy this awesome recipe for Sugar Free Caramel Pecan Bars as much as my family does.
Thank You for visiting The Naked Diabetic
Disclaimer -This post may contain affiliate links. When a purchase is made through our links, The Naked Diabetic may receive a commission, at no cost to you.