Disclaimer -This post may contain affiliate links. When a purchase is made through our links, The Naked Diabetic may receive a commission, at no cost to you.
Butter tarts were always a favourite treat that I could never really enjoy. Even when I’m using an insulin pump it is just too hard to figure out what the carb count really is. So as a result, I just avoided them altogether. Since tweaking my recipe for sugar-free butter tart squares, I no longer have to deprive myself of these delicious treats. Don’t you just love sugar-free desserts and sugar-free snacks?
What you will find in this post
Table of Contents
I recently decided to get out some old family cookbooks and change the recipes up to be diabetic-friendly. This sugar-free butter tart square recipe isn’t my first converted recipe but it’s definitely one of my favourites.
Kitchen supplies and tools needed for sugar-free butter tart squares
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- cutting board
- chefs knife
- 6 by 9 baking dish
Shopping List of Ingredients
- almond flour (finely ground almonds)
- Truvia brown sugar
- sugar twin brown sugar
- heavy cream
- baking powder
- Walden Farms maple walnut syrup
Recipe for Sugar-Free Butter Tart Squares
Sugar-Free Butter Tart Squares Recipe
- 3 tbsp butter – melted
- 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 1/3 cup Splenda
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/4 cup Truvia brown sugar blend sweetener
- 1/2 cup Sugar Twin- brown
- 3 tbsp Walden farms maple walnut syrup
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 tbsp Almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp chopped pecans (optionalsl)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine almond flour, melted butter and sweetener.
- Mix with a fork until you have a crumbly mixture.Pour onto a 6 by 9 inch baking dish (or an 8 by 8 inch) and smooth out and pat down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, eggs and both brown sugar sweeteners.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon over the top of the baked crust.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for about 25 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into 2 inch squares
You Might Also Like
Nutritional Value for Sugar-Free Butter Tart Squares
- Calories – 158
- Total fat – 14.6 gr
- Saturated Fat – 6.2 gr
- Total carbs – 5 gr
- Fibre – 1 gr
- Net carbs – 4 gr
- Protein – 3 gr
- Sodium – 87 mg
- Walden Farms Syrup – I don’t recommend a substitute but if you can not get it, E.D Smith maple syrup is okay to use – However, it has calories and carbs so consider that when looking at insulin doses and carb counting. If you have a favourite sugar-free syrup product, check the carb count before using it. The Walden Farms syrup is thicker than most and it is recommended.
- Sugar Twin- Brown – I don’t believe this product is available in the US. So I would recommend you use powdered Splenda as a substitute. All other brown sugar sweeteners have calories and carbs.
- Truvia Brown sugar blend – you can use the Splenda brown sugar blend or other brown sugar blends. Review the carb count – the Truvia brown sugar blend has 4 grams of carbs per teaspoon. If you use a similar one, the nutritional values should line up.
- Splenda – you can use other sugar-free granulated sweeteners as long as they are suitable for cooking and 0 calories. I have used Stevia and Sugar Twin.
- Almond Flour – Almond flour is simply finely ground almonds (with skins removed). You can substitute by making your own. See below for instructions on how to make almond flour.
NOTE – when substituting sweeteners – be sure to adjust amounts according to equivalent values of the ingredient listed in the recipe
How to Make Sugar-Free Butter Tart Squares.
How to Make Almond Flour
Making your own almond flour is actually cheaper than buying it and it will also have a fresher taste, The downside is, it is one more thing you have to do, so it certainly is less convenient.
To make your own, you need blanched, unsalted almonds. Place them in a blender or food processor and pulse for short bursts. Continue to scrape the sides of the blender. This usually takes a couple of minutes of pulsing. When the flour is the flour consistency, it is ready to be used in your recipe.
How to Blanch Almonds – Bring cold water in a small saucepan to a boil. Add your almonds and boil for about a minute. remove the almonds and plunge them into cold water. Pinch the almonds and the skins should slip off.
Storing your sugar-free butter tart squares
Store them at room temperature for 2 days in an airtight container, or refrigerate for 5 to 6 days.
This recipe also freezes well.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Low Carb Sugar-Free Butter Tart Squares.
Thanks for visiting The Naked Diabetic where we are simplifying diabetic life.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. We receive a small commission when purchases are made through our links.