Time for a sugar-free slushie!! The summer is here and so is the heat. There is nothing more refreshing than an iced lemonade or slushie on a hot summer day. The average calorie count and carbs in a small ( 8 to 10 ounce) slushie is 150 and 30 grams of carbs. I’ve seen a large size slushie with a calorie count of 375 and 95 grams of carb. I can only imagine the I’mmpact of that on my blood sugar. YIKES!! Bring on the sugar-free slushie!
You don’t have to deprive yourself. You can easily make your favourite flavour of a sugar-free slushie. Make a big batch to share or just one for yourself.
What kitchen tools you will need to make a sugar-free slushie
- blender or Ninja bullet
- Tall fountain drink glass or other tall glass
- straw or long-handled spoon
- liquid measuring cup
For the blender, I have used two different models and both work equally well for smoothies and our sugar-free slushie recipe. The advantage of the Ninja Bullet is that you can make your drink right in the glass. After you make it you just unscrew the glass and insert your straw. If you are making more than one sugar-free slushie, definitely go for the larger blender. The Ninja Bullet only makes one at a time,
I used Crystal light lemonade, pink (strawberry), and regular lemon flavour. I used the crystals as opposed to the liquid as I don’t have to play around with tasting and amounts. One packet does one sugar-free slushie. If you use liquid, you will just have to taste as you go along.
Ingredients for sugar-free slushie drink.
- Crystal Light lemonade mix (powdered)
- OR Skinny syrups in lemon or desired sugar-free slushie flavour.
- ice ( cubes or crushed)
- garnish (if desired)
How to make the sugar-free slushie
- In a measuring cup add 1/2 cup ice-cold water, and the Crystal Light packet and stir.
- Add about 3 to 3 1/2 cups of ice to a blender. Blend the ice until it appears slushy.
- Pour your lemonade mixture over the ice and continue to blend until it is mixed thoroughly.
- Pour into a glass. and garnish if desired. We added a small amount of sugar-free cool whip and a maraschino cherry, a curl of lemon peel, or lemon slice as our garnish. ( be cautious of what you add, as it adds carbs and sugar)
- Add a straw or long-handled cocktail spoon and serve.
- Easy as that. a calorie-free, carb-free refreshing summer drink.
This is super refreshing on a hot day. Its hard to stop at one!
Check out the new Skinny Syrups!
These Jordans brand Skinny Syrups are absolutely amazing. They are sugar-free, and carb-free and calorie-free but taste great. There is a wide variety of flavours available. Some of our favourites are Strawberry watermelon, Lemon Raspberry, Caramel Creme (for latte), Peach and cotton candy. If you haven’t tried them, I recommend you do. You can make a slushie using any of them and they taste fabulous.
Follow us on Pinterest for more recipes and diabetic living tips. https://www.pinterest.ca/thenakeddiabetic/_created/
Check out another great drink recipe – sugar-free Caramel latte https://thenakeddiabetic.com/enjoy-this-easy-to-make-sugar-free-caramel-latte/
Thank you for visiting The Naked Diabetic, where we are simplifying diabetic life.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. We receive a small commission when purchases are made through our links. We Never recommend any products that we haven’t tried, tested or approved before linking in our posts.